Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Serpentine Belt slipping off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
azcat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Serpentine Belt slipping off Reply with quote

I have a '99 TJ Sport (I6). It has an after-market A/C system installed. The serpentine belt has started to slip off. The first time was mid summer. Then it happened once again in September. After that last time, I checked it every couple of weeks or so. Once it looked like it was getting ready to slip of the water pump pulley. On my Jeep, this is a smooth pulley and the back (non-toothed side) of the belt rides along this. I readjusted the belt so it was riding more to the center of the pulley. Today it happened again. This time the belt got a little chewed up. I was able to put it back on and make it to the parts store. I got a new belt, $42 -ouch, and a new adjuster pulley. I put the new belt and pulley on and it looks like the belt is moving slightly toward the edge of the pulley again-towards the front of the Jeep. Is there an adjustment I can make to move the water pump pulley away from the block/toward the radiator? I'm thinking that somehow the pulleys aren't all in the same plane.

Help, please.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you had the aftermaket a/c system? The pulley on that might not be lined up with the others?
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the pulley on the a/c might not be lined up with the others. You might want to check the water pump pulley too, as the bolts that hold it on may be loose, and the tention of the belt draws the pulley to sit at an angle (similar to the adjustment screw that centers a belt sander).

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
azcat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A/C was installed when I bought the Jeep 5 years ago. I looked at it on Sunday. The harmonic balancer is slipping apart. I was able to tap it back onto the ring and the belt stayed on. I have a new balancer and the puller/installer. Just waiting until I can get to it later this week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: