Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Swap: Put a 4.0 from an 01 into a 99?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
savetomsjeep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Engine Swap: Put a 4.0 from an 01 into a 99? Reply with quote

Hi all,

My brother's '99 4.0L Grand Cherokee started making a horrendous knocking sound after his last oil change a few weeks ago. It sounded unlike anything I had ever heard before.

Well, I take that back. The sound reminded me of the videos I had seen of the "Cash for Clunkers" cars after they initiate an engine fail.

So upon a test drive after fixing a transmission overdrive solenoid problem, I asked him to rev the engine harder than he normally does to make sure the shifting issue was fixed. Well, it was, but in the process we also got the knocking to cease. There was a tremendous banging sound followed by the engine being dead. I have never experienced anything like this before, but I assume it was a rod being thrown.

My brother managed to steer the Jeep over to the side of the highway and we opened the hood to a cloud of smoke, and the sight and sound of coolant dripping out onto the highway from a place nowhere near the radiator or water pump.

After towing the Jeep back to my shop, we had many beers in honor of our fallen comrade, and decided the best option would be to repair or replace the engine, since the Jeep other than the engine was in such great shape.

I've called around to some local salvage yards and can get a 4.0L from a '99 model for around $1,300. But for about half that price, there is a guy on CL selling a 4.0L engine from an '01 Grand Cherokee with 92K miles on it. I'd really like to get the engine from the '01 and save some money (plus the miles on it are less than the ones at the salvage yards); however, I am unsure how difficult it would be to put a 4.0L from an '01 into the '99. I am hoping it's just the mounts that need adjusted, but perhaps it's much more than that. Or maybe it wouldn't work at all, but that doesn't seem likely.

A buddy of mine who has done engine work says we could do the swap ourselves so I'm trying to see what kind of options we have.

Anyone know if the 4.0L engine from an '01 Grand Cherokee would work in the '99, and if so, are there any modifications or gotchas we would have to look out for?

Any information or advice you guys can give would be truly appreciated.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine will work. I don't know for sure if the parts are a direct swap, so keep some of the parts from the 99 just in case.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: