Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP PLEASE!!! 1999 GCL Won't start, NO OBD2 coms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDale

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: HELP PLEASE!!! 1999 GCL Won't start, NO OBD2 coms Reply with quote

I searched and couldn't find an answer to my particular problem.

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0

I was on my way to pick up my daughter then my jeep lost power, stalled out and died. The Check Engine, Low Fuel & Check Gauges lights came on. When I turn the ignition to the on position, I get the same lights and the gauges go to the lowest positions. No fuel level, no temp... NADA.

I tried to start it a few times after checking fuses & relays. Crank but no start. It's got new fuel pump, crank position sensor and coil bar. All replaced in the last 4 months.

I tried hooking up 3 different scanners and they could NOT connect to the OBD2 system. They've always worked and connected in the past. So now I can't pull codes to see what happened.

I jumpered the fuel pump and it's good. Swapped out the new CPS for the old one (it was working at the time) and changed to another good coil bar. All same result. Crank, no start.

Do I have a dead ECM?!?!?!?!?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a burnt wire in the harness that goes to the ECM.
SDale

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: FOUND IT! Reply with quote

Man... I've been working on this thing since 6:30 this morning.

I started stripping the loom off the harness that the CPS hooks into and found 2 wires that were chafed and shorting out on each other. I'm not sure how they were able to move enough to chafe through their insulation. But after stripping them back and repairing the short, my Jeep starts and runs fine! WOO HOO!!!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumbs
SDale

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orange! If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have started tracing through the harness! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: