Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trailer hitch question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Trailer hitch question Reply with quote

Ok I was building my own but I screwed the pooch by making it way too short to meet the frame, so I have a question about trailer hitches,
I found one at a local store that has a bar that attaches to The Jeep with a 3/4" bolt and has a strap piece that uses two bolts to bolt to the bumper.
I'd draw a picture but my drawing ability bites dirt. Anyway I have a class1 trailer and all I need is something to pull it with the Jeep has a 4 banger so I'll never hang a Class3 or anything, but where can I find these hitches that bolt onto the bumper instead of eth frame at for a 2001 Wrangler?
I'm looking all over the internet. Found one once, but lost it.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a bumper that has a receiver built in for cheap, less than $200.00 through Quadratec.com, or other web sites.

I really wouldn't put any serious weight on these bumpers, because cheap does mean cheap with bumpers, thin wall materials, grade 4 hardware, and poor quality of workmanship, built in some other country you never heard of before (Kirkplakistan, think Austin Powers 3), all contribute to the low cost.
Recently a friend gave me his Mopar front and rear tube bumpers, which I will admit, I’m not fond of round tube bumpers, but they were never hit and do look better than my stockers
I have don’t see many aftermarket bumpers that don’t have a receiver built-in, I know they do make them though. Wink

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
wolfen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.truetex.com/jeep_trailer_hitch_bracket.htm

Ok how about this on a stock bumper? I found this while surfing everything i could find including the off the wall sites and found it I called the guy in Fla, he said it will fix my stock 01 bumper, he has one one 03 stock bumper. I will be making two changes to his design though, I'll be placing a bolt hole in eth top center of the bumper part and manufacturing a back plate for the inside of the bumper. All it will ever pull is a class 1 trailer bought at Lowes here in Va Beach, and believe it or not Smile I'm one of the ones you meet every now and then with the common sense to center my load over the axle Smile
savasa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Wolfen,
You're not going to like my suggestion but, spend a bit of xtra cash, get a hitch that is rated for and labeled for class I and breath easily. IF you ever have an accident or a problem with a "home made" hitch you could be opening up a whole can of worms with respect to liability. Cops (some) and lawyers (most) just love to point fingers.
Just my $.02.
Peter
wolfen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.........weather or not I like your suggestion, it is true some cops will probably give me grief over that hitch, that's why when I find stuff I post it on forums and get more opinions than my own.

Thank you for your opinion. Its one that I never even though of, and makes sense Smile
wolfen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Here's an update, I finally ( on a Sunday) got a hold of the man in charge of the Va state Inspections, out at the State Police station off Military Highway the woman connected me to the station in Richmond that is responsible for all state inspection requirements and that officer transferred me to the trailer requirement office, where I told the officer there what I was making and emailed him the design, and a description of the changes I plan to make to it. he said I am legally allowed to build and install my won hitch, and that my modifications to the existing design will surpass the requirements for Class 1 making my hitch a Class2, I looked under the rear of the jeep again to see how the Bumper is connected and it has all its bolts which I will replace with grade 8 SS bolts, along with the back plate, according to the State Police I can take it to the station off Military Highway and they will inspect and approve or decline my hitch, if approved I will be logged as passing the requirements set by Va, and I can then legally haul my trailer Smile
Although there are no official state requirements, this inspection is performed as a courtesy to citizens, they have a load test machine to test the strength of the steel and bolts, and they insp mounting points with a magnifying glass and flashlight.
This will do for my short term use, but I will be buying one from Curt, they have a class1 that's only $125
savasa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Wolfen,
That's the stuff! Get a written copy of the report. Seems like every time you turn around today, someone is waiting to sue your sorry a$$.
Peter.
wolfen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me I will have that before I even think about hanging my trailer toung on it, this is Virginia I'm talking about here, and I'm not a tourist, if I even wipe my rear wrong its a minimum of 30 days here.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is just my opinion but.......

Have you looked behind your bumper to see what is back there? The stock bumper is thicker than paper, but not much. If it was mine, I would never use the design in the link you posted - there is just too much of a chance of that "hitch" pulling out and hurting someone.

That being said, if you do decide to tow with that "hitch," please do yourself a favor and make sure you make a backing plate to spread the towing forces out rather than just using washers. The larger the backing plate, the safer your towing will be.

FWIW.....
wolfen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually yea I did look behind it and broke out eh ruler too, my stock bumper is 3/16" thick, so I decided to make a back plate for the hitch, so now I have a 1/4" thick hitch and a 1/4' thick back plate running 2' across the center line of the bumper. I load tested it at work Sat, and the bolts hold up at 1500lbs tension so I think I'm, good for now.
wolfen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I pulled the trailer today with the home made hitch, with 1000lbs on it, after I unbolted everything and inspected the whole setup, no damage to any bolt, or plate, so until I get the money for my tube bumpers with a hitch built in, I guess this one will do Smile
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfen wrote:
http://www.truetex.com/jeep_trailer_hitch_bracket.htm

Ok how about this on a stock bumper? I found this while surfing everything i could find including the off the wall sites and found it I called the guy in Fla, he said it will fix my stock 01 bumper, he has one one 03 stock bumper. I will be making two changes to his design though, I'll be placing a bolt hole in eth top center of the bumper part and manufacturing a back plate for the inside of the bumper. All it will ever pull is a class 1 trailer bought at Lowes here in Va Beach, and believea it or not Smile I'm one of the ones you meet every now and then with the common sense to center my load over the axle Smile

First, I would not trust the factory bumper to handle tow loads as the steel is very thin.
Yeah that design looks simple, but I'd add acouple triangle gussets to strengthen everything, mostly for the downward forces.
I agree with the posters that are looking at the legal end. Here in So Cal, people look for anything to sue anyone for, and there are lawyers everywhere.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
wolfen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea triangle gussets are in the works now, primers drying on en, and I decided to modify the bumper also, by placing a 1/4 inch deck plate rib from one end to the other on the back side of the bumper, and replace the grade 8 3/8 bolts with 3/4 grade 8 bolts in four spots on each side of the hitch plate and the 4 bolts that hold it to the bumper will be replaced by 7/16" bolts grade 8.

I am currently checking into metal suppliers around here locally for a piece or 4x4 square 1/4" thick to make my own bumper with a receiver so that I can built it myself and know for sure that it will hold AND be a battering ram for anybody who thinks I'll run the light so they can Smile
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/4 inch thick material will be heavy, you might want to consider 3/16, witch is what Hanson, Garvin and other quality manufactures use to make there bumpers.
Make sure to grind a good size bevel on both sides of your guessets, so when you go to weld them in, you get good weld penatration on both sides. Wink

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
wolfen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I know 1/4 is real heavy, but its also tougher, and around here since I use my Jeep primarily as a DD I stop and a while lot of red lights where other cars try to run through, I have a 89S-10 Blazer 4X4 with a class 4 bolted up under it holding a 15 ton pintle hook that has saved my butt a few times from little low rider cars that think their text is more important than the road, so the thicker I can get without sagging the rear down the better.
As for the angle Iron that's on there now, when I weld in the Gussets, I'm first going to strip off the paint and primer, and use a 1/8th" 6010 so I can get mas penetration on both pieces, unless I can get the thing into work and tig them on, My tig machine at work will penetrate to 7/8's" thick
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: