Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Gears?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mizzery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: New Gears? Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 2005 unlimited. The first thing I did was find a 4x4 shop in town and check the pirce for larger tires/wheels, and a modest lift kit.
After looking around at tons of site and checking what the results are I am thinking I may need new gears in the jeep after I add the tires.
Currently its running 30.5 tires
the new tires are 33x12.5 BFG KM2's (32.5 true OD)
Another site shows that an over all rockcrawl gear ratio should be between 50:1 and 70:1.
Right now the jeep has a 3:73 ratio. What gears should I look at to:
1) return to a closer to stock ratio
2) increase the preformace in a crawl scenario
Mizzery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought maybe I should add the rear axel is a D44 HD. I think the front is a D30
IBTJn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you are right in your thinking. Which tranny do you have? If you have a manual tranny you'll want to consider re-gearing. 4.56's seem to be popular with 33's, and in my case has worked well even with 35's. With an automatic I'm not sure you'll be pressed to get new gear sets. In fact I think with 33's and an auto some suggest 4.10's. So I'd probably drive it awhile and see for myself whether or not I really need them.

Good luck.
Wink
Mizzery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!! Very Happy My jeep has the 3sp auto. I went to another site to try and calc the gear ratio and I keep coming up with bad numbers lol. I entered all the stock ratios and tires. The site kept coming back telling me that in 4LO and 3mph 1st gear I would be at 800ish RPM. I went out and tried it in the street. In 4LO 1st gear at 5 mph I am at 3000 RPM. I believe you are absolutly correct, I will run the new tires and wheels up to the Holister ORV park and just try them out.
Wanted a jeep all my life to go camping and stuff in, now at almost 50 I finally get one. Since I have gotten it all I want to do now is build it up and take it up nasty trails lol.
I think I have even talked my wife into the Rubicon trail once I finish getting lockers on and the rock rails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: