Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tick tick tick noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapture

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: tick tick tick noise Reply with quote

Some kind of tik tick tick noise comes of my XJ 91 engine I ask a local mechanic in Kuwait he said its not tappet noise but its coming out of the engine , so any idea what can it be ?????

Will it do any harm ???

Please let me know
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably ether lifters , cracked exhaust manifold or piston slap . does it go away when its cold or change when its hot ?

if you have a 91 cherokee i have a hard time believing it doesn't have noisy lifters . they all do when they get up in the miles its not really anything to concern yourself with on the 4.0 .
rapture

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best wrote:
probably ether lifters , cracked exhaust manifold or piston slap . does it go away when its cold or change when its hot ?

if you have a 91 cherokee i have a hard time believing it doesn't have noisy lifters . they all do when they get up in the miles its not really anything to concern yourself with on the 4.0 .

Thank you for your reply,

I have changed all my mounts? I don’t know what is a lift? I even changed my trani mount. A week back ,and the head gasket and tightened all the tappets … still the noise is there and it goes up and down with the RPM .. its like some kind of tik tick tick tick noise … I hope it wont do any damage to my JEEP .. Though its an 18 year old jeep its my love …hehehehe

More over my gear wont shift out of first to 2nd early in the morning like it has to shift RPM goes up but wont shift for some time but after that it dose. And works fine … but again it happens same next morning … why can It be any idea ?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you call them tappets i call them lifter's .

you could have a cracked /leaky exhaust manifold its really common .

or the #1 piston is a little loose and is slapping around in the cylinder it's caused by a design flaw , basically the water pump is right on the first cylinder and its over cooled so it wears out faster then the rest .

i still think its just tappets .

i would not worry about it , my old cherokee ticked so loud you could hear it from the drivers seat with the windows up , i never had a problem with it .

do you have an auto tranny ? when was the last time you changed the fluid ?

do you have good oil pressure ? are you running 5w30 in your engine or 10w30 ?

does it tick as loud cold as it does hot ?
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By what you decribed, I'd rule out lifters (tappets), Hyd. lifter rarely fail. You stated that you adjusted them and no change in noise. If a lifter was bad you experience a miss, simular to an ignition miss.

I know here in the states all jeeps that had 4.0's had a recall notice go out around 1997-98 reguarding cracking exhaust manifolds, the fix was a tubeular exhaust header.
If the exhaust manifold is bad, yes you can hear it in the cabin, , if it's real bad you can even smell the exhaust gases in side the cabin.

A tick tick tick noise tells me that the leak is isolated to a single exhaust port. If you can, look for a black soot around the exhaust manifold where it meets the head, it may be hard to see because of a black painted engine block. Also look of cracks anywhere on the manifold it's self, as they do tend to crack with age.

Hope this helps you....

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
rapture

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir,

thank you for your reply,

thank you for your reply, yes i can hear it when the windo is closed and when i am in my driver seat. ..... and to be frank enaugh to you i dont know what is 5w30 in your engine or 10w30

i cnaged my trani oil 5 months back with the gasket and the filter .... but now if i start my jeep after keeping it off for 2- 3 hrs it wont shift from 1st to 2nd for some time but then once i leave the gas paddle and press it again it works fine ... before it use to happen like once in a month but now it happens more then once a day ..... as i changed my trani oil 5 months back do i have to change it again ? or is it some thing else ???

do u have any idea ??

Brad The Best wrote:
you call them tappets i call them lifter's .

you could have a cracked /leaky exhaust manifold its really common .

or the #1 piston is a little loose and is slapping around in the cylinder it's caused by a design flaw , basically the water pump is right on the first cylinder and its over cooled so it wears out faster then the rest .

i still think its just tappets .

i would not worry about it , my old cherokee ticked so loud you could hear it from the drivers seat with the windows up , i never had a problem with it .

do you have an auto tranny ? when was the last time you changed the fluid ?

do you have good oil pressure ? are you running 5w30 in your engine or 10w30 ?

does it tick as loud cold as it does hot ?

rapture

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you sir,

will check on it this evening once am done with my work ....

TJ Apex wrote:
By what you decribed, I'd rule out lifters (tappets), Hyd. lifter rarely fail. You stated that you adjusted them and no change in noise. If a lifter was bad you experience a miss, simular to an ignition miss.

I know here in the states all jeeps that had 4.0's had a recall notice go out around 1997-98 reguarding cracking exhaust manifolds, the fix was a tubeular exhaust header.
If the exhaust manifold is bad, yes you can hear it in the cabin, , if it's real bad you can even smell the exhaust gases in side the cabin.

A tick tick tick noise tells me that the leak is isolated to a single exhaust port. If you can, look for a black soot around the exhaust manifold where it meets the head, it may be hard to see because of a black painted engine block. Also look of cracks anywhere on the manifold it's self, as they do tend to crack with age.

Hope this helps you....

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: