Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chrysler and Fiat Group Announce Global Strategic Alliance

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Jeep News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Chrysler and Fiat Group Announce Global Strategic Alliance Reply with quote

Auburn Hills, Mich., Apr 30, 2009 - Chrysler LLC today announced that, as a result of the comprehensive restructuring plan agreed to by many of its stakeholders, it has reached an agreement in principle to establish a global strategic alliance with Fiat SpA to form a vibrant new company. It will allow Chrysler and Fiat to fully optimize their respective manufacturing footprints and the global supplier base, while providing each with access to additional markets. Fiat powertrains and components will also be produced at Chrysler manufacturing sites.

"This partnership transforms Chrysler into a vibrant new company with a wealth of strategic advantages," said Bob Nardelli, Chairman and CEO of Chrysler. "It enables us to better serve our customers and dealers with a broader and more competitive line-up of environmentally friendly, fuel-efficient high-quality vehicles. Benefits to the new company include access to exciting products that complement our current portfolio, technology cooperation and stronger global distribution."

Chrysler initiated discussions with Fiat more than a year ago to develop plans for a global product alliance. Over the past several months, these discussions have evolved and expanded. Chrysler and many of its stakeholders worked tirelessly to agree upon concessions that will result in a significantly lower cost base and enable fulfillment of a broader strategic alliance.

"We want to personally assure everyone that the new company will produce and support quality vehicles under the Jeep®, Dodge and Chrysler brands as well as parts under the Mopar® brand. Chrysler employees will become employees of the new company. Chrysler dealerships remain open for business serving our customers. All vehicle warranties will be honored without interruption and consumers can continue to purchase our vehicles with complete confidence," explained Nardelli.

Despite substantial progress on many fronts, Chrysler was not able to obtain the necessary concessions from all of its lenders, which would have avoided the need for a bankruptcy proceeding. As a result, under the direction of the U.S. Treasury, Chrysler LLC and 24 of its wholly owned U.S. subsidiaries today filed voluntary petitions under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.

Full Article
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they are going to be vibrant before or after Chrysler emerges from bankruptcy?
ZJDAB

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: wish i was Reply with quote

Wish I was friends with Obama, he seems to get a lot of col things for his friends.

UAW Finger
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it seem ironic that he bails out the big insurance and investment companies, but allows the companies that employ his supporters to go bankrupt?
ZJDAB

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Now ironic Reply with quote

Not ironic it is all part of the plan. I never met a politician that didnt lie.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reviewing the deal further it appears the real winner is the UAW. They get 55% of the company. Chrysler is closing a number of plants, while stating the workers will be offered jobs at other locations. My guess is the average worker in St. Louis has no interest in moving his family and starting all over. The losers are the individual worker and investor.

Politics again shows how ugly it truly is. The Obama Administration continues to show that the only change they believe in is the change from campaign promises and rhetoric to business as usual in Washington. Will the American public learn anything from this mess.........?
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 55% the UAW is getting is eventually supposed to be sold off and used for their legacy costs. As in the previous negotiated contract, the company and the union had agreed that UAW was going to oversee the management of these costs. From what I'm seeing, this is more or less just making sure that happens. These legacy costs are the pensions and benefits for all retirees and spouses...just in case anyone wasn't sure on that. So all in all, from what I take out of this, the UAW isn't walking away from this any better off than before it happened.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand........even though the UAW will "own" 55% of the company, they will only get one seat on the board and I believe they have only one now. They will not take control of the company.

Your evaluation is probably correct.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind, is that the Gov. wants us to buy these small cars, that's why there so "pro" Fiat partnering with Chrysler. the Gov. doesn't listen to what we want or need, as usual.
We want trucks and SUV's, other wise we wouldn't get a thing done in this country.
I don't want a car that I have to spread Vaseline all over my body just to get in and out of a tiny car that will only carry a box of cereal, it's not going to happen. I for one do NOT want to drive around in a tuna can car, I have a hard enough time bringing groceries home in my TJ, let alone a car that only has 4 cubic inches of storage for what ever.
Point is, lets make what we have more fuel efficient, we have the technology to this. Hybrid is not ECO friendly, because the acid in the old batteries will catch up to us sooner that later, and methanol is a joke. Bio Diesel or Hydrogen is the way to go, I hope the Government will get the clue.
There are other problems we need to deal with.
Bio Diesel, Good for Jeeps….

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:

Point is, lets make what we have more fuel efficient, we have the technology to this. Hybrid is not ECO friendly, because the acid in the old batteries will catch up to us sooner that later, and methanol is a joke. Bio Diesel or Hydrogen is the way to go, I hope the Government will get the clue.
There are other problems we need to deal with.
Bio Diesel, Good for Jeeps….

Completely agree with ya. Force feeding hybrid/electric was a real hard push last spring/summer when oil and gas went through the roof. Then the economy hit the shitter, so not only are people afraid to buy existing vehicles that don't get 1000 mpg for fear of gas prices exploding again, now no one has a job or can get credit for a car that drives sales even further lower. Endless downward spiral in motion....

Safety issues are a concern too. I worked with a guy that had one of these bubbles and whenever I'd see him getting in or out of it, it just reminded me of Wile E. Coyote and his Indestructo-ball. There were some head on crash tests done with some of these things going up against like Accords and what not. I believe one of the crashes sent the thing hurling in the air. That's against a passenger car, imagine what would happen when you run up against a pickup or SUV or *gasp* a tractor trailer?

I'm all for innovation and moving forward. I just don't like when it's being done to further political agendas preying on the fears of general ignorance...and yes, I was going postal with all this sensationalism created last year during the great gas gouging of the summer, so I'm not much better than any other dope out there.
ZJDAB

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
The 55% the UAW is getting is eventually supposed to be sold off and used for their legacy costs.

HAHAHA they broke the law man...

Investors are FIRST in a bankruptcy.

Obama admin changed the deal to help the UAW. they got all this crap for no work at all. They are all screwing us in the long run.

GMAC is owned by GM and the company that bought chrysler from DAIMLER

rofl CHANGE from promises and rhetoric to CHICAGO business as usual
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Jeep News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: