Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep keeps runnging hot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
843jeep2000

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Jeep keeps runnging hot Reply with quote

Wassup. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport. It recently started running hot. Iv'e replaced the thermostat and the water pump, yet it still pours water after driving distances of about 12 miles or more. Im contantly filling it with coolant or water. Could it b the radiator or head gasket? pissed
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do both of the fans operate properly? Did you flush the system?
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange's point is valid; check your fans for operation, fuses, fan relays, do a radiator flush, have your radiator internally cleaned at a shop or buy a new one, and make sure when you refill the cooling system that there are no air pockets.

One thing you can check is your plastic fill/overflow tank. I know the Cherokee’s fill /overflow tanks tend to crack (usally on the seam) due to the heat of the coolant over years of time. If this happens, don’t waste your time repairing it with plastic epoxy or plastic welding, I have done both, and the welding does work better but still failed after a couple weeks. I wasn’t in to jeeps at the time I owned my Cherokee and didn’t bother with researching for alum. tank to replace the plastic one, but I’m sure someone out there makes one that will last longer that 5-7 years.

Also the engine bay is real tight in Cherokee’s; there is not a lot of room for air movement or heat to escape. You might consider some hood vents.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's

Last edited by TJ Apex on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
843jeep2000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Guys!!
Cool
quadna71

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is it "pouring" water from? from the bottle or the cap? maybe check into replacing the cap. they are designed to vent at a certain psi...but sometimes go bad.

you say it is running hot...is the needle actually climbing up into the red? if not, then i'd look at that cap very closely. if it is, then maybe check to see if the radiator is clogged externally. if you've don't any serious mudding lately they can easily be clogged and not let airflow through. if that happens then the radiator won't cool a thing. high pressure water through it will do the trick...but remember that it works better when sprayed from the engine compartment out towards the grill and not the other way around....since the mud/debris comes into it from the front.
prairieschooner
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with the Basics, With the Vehicle COLD remove the Radiator Cap. Start the Vehicle, let it warm up and look for Bubbles, if you see Bubbles you may have a bad Head Gasket, Cracked Block or Cracked Head. After the Thermostat Opens you should see the Circulation of the Coolant, again look for Bubbles. I would most likely also do a simple Compression Check in case you think that the Head Gasket could be an issue and don't forget to look at the Oil to see if it is Milky (another indication of a Cracked Block, Cracked Head or bad Head Gasket).
You can check the Thermostat by putting it in Heated Water, Boiling Water is usually 212 Degrees, your Thermostat should open well before that.
I would get a simple Thermometer and insert it into the Coolant to see when the Fans go on so that you can eliminate that possibility.
I would try to figure out the pproblem before I spend hard earened $$$ in this economy!!! Try to know what the problem is before you start changing parts withoiut knowing what the problem is.
Good Luck this can be troubling but remember to never remove the Radiator Cap when the Engine is HOT!!!.

This post has been edited by Orangeamc13. troll
Steve, you're walking on very thin ice here!
kaos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we please keep the personalities out of this? Sad For what it's worth, I certainly don't agree with you about Orange.

As to the actual problem, I think a bit closer description would be most useful here. Is the engine overheating and "boiling over" as a result? Or is it loosing coolant without neccessarily overheating? Both of you and Orange have made good recommendations, depending on the answer to that question.

Please, let's stick to the technical problems.

--
Best regards,
Kári
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kari, sorry about that. Not you or anyone else should have to be subjected to that BS.

Prairieschooner, I've already asked you to PM me with any issues. All of your "get out of jail free" cards have been used. mad

Now keeping to topic!
(Which is what we expect, especially in tech forums!)

843jeep2000, any updates?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: