Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cutting Rear Fender Flares

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Cutting Rear Fender Flares Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be in "Body and Paint" or not, but I could care less about bodywork, just about making Cherokees better... so I'm putting it here.

I cut out my rear fenders this weekend. Here's how I did it. It's ugly, but it's also not finished.

First, I removed the rear flares and plastic quarter panel trim (it's a 1998).

Next, I cut along the line of the outside of that, um, ridge along the outside of the fender with a angle grinder and cutoff wheel.

Then, I drilled out all of the spot welds.

Next I pried off the this outside piece. Some of the spot welds will inevitably hang on for dear life, so you'll have to give it some "motivation" with a flat bar and hammer.

After removing the cut piece, I used a sheet metal shears to cut the inner fender sheet metal into 1" to 2" wide strips.

Then I used a pliers and a hammer to bend the pieces over the outer sheet metal.

Finally, the most difficult decision... Do I attempt to Mig weld the inner and outer fender back together?... or do I stitch screw it back together? I didn't like either idea, because welding will heat and warp the metal, not to mention trying to weld such thin gauge. I didn't have 100% faith in the screws alone.

So I bought some 3M Autobody repair epoxy. This is the stuff they use to piece autobody panels back together in place of welding. I figure that this stuff, combined with the stitch screws should be at least as strong as welding.

Technically, the screws are #8x1/2" Self-piercing screws with a hex head (but any 1/2" self piercing screw will work). Don't get self-tappers. They are actually harder to get into the sheetmetal that a piercing type. The epoxy is called 3M Automix 8115 Adhesive (Panel Bonding Adhesive).

But before I mixed this up and screws the panels together, I cleaned the paint off of both panels with a buffer wheel on the grinder.

Finally, I mixed the adhesive and glued and screwed the fender... well, that sounds wrong. But here are the pictures just to clarify what I mean.

Well, that's it for now. Here is the finished cut-out fender with a 30x9.5R15 wheel and almost no lift (1.75" extended shackles with some good spring sag).

I will post more pictures after I start the fender flares. The plan is to either use rear TJ flares like this...

Or make my own similar to this...

I would prefer to make my own like the latter, but we'll see what happens after I start my attempt. The ease of just buying some TJ flares might win out.[/img]
Blue96^xj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what ive seen most people fold inward, but hey whatever works Cool
i also like the tj flares
NAXJA member #3169
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I've seen that too. This was way easier, and since I was using screws, now the inner part of the fender where there could be potential rubbing is smooth. Either way, this was a hack job that I'm hoping the fenders and a little bedliner will cover.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't look at the pics, because they are way too big! When I did this to my 88, I welded the seams together.

Oh yeah, moving this to Body & Paint !

DavidXJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the picture size, Orange. I didn't realize they are displayed actual size until after I hit the submit button. Some day I'll work on using an editor to reduce their size.

I thought about welding too, until I realized I was too lazy.
kaos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are running Windows, you might want to take a look at the Image Resizer Powertoy from Microsoft: http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe
It's a free tool that lets you right-click any jpeg image to resize it for web or email posting.

Oh, and nice mod Very Happy . Bookmarked, in case I decide to go for bigger rubber later.
--
Best regards,
Kári
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Body & Paint All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: