Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clicking in Front Axle; primarily Driver's Side

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Clicking in Front Axle; primarily Driver's Side Reply with quote

1992 Cherokee, 4.5" lift, LockRight locker in front axle (D30) (is NOT vacuum disconnect version)

Has developed a fairly loud Clicking noise that seems like its coming from driver's side (happens 2wd and/or 4 low) . I can feel it in brake peddle. I first suspected it was front locker that wasn't fully disengaging but I have drained front Diff and (visually) inspected everything nothing "appears" worn or broken. ALL locker pins and springs are in place.

After putting it all back together, and driving a short distance all sounded good for first 2 miles and then it came back.

Any ideas for the simplest fix as I really don't want to arbitrarily start replacing stuff?

Both front Uni-bearings are maybe 1.5 years old. Axle U-joints, maybe?

Anyone know exactly what size U-joints and best brand/source?

Will it be worthwhile at all to disconnect front drive shaft to determine if it still happens? Does front shaft turn while moving in 2wd with no disconnect? (OK, possibly a STUPID Question)

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking in Front Axle; primarily Driver's Side Reply with quote

jppilot61 wrote:
Any ideas for the simplest fix as I really don't want to arbitrarily start replacing stuff?

Both front Uni-bearings are maybe 1.5 years old. Axle U-joints, maybe?

Anyone know exactly what size U-joints and best brand/source?

Will it be worthwhile at all to disconnect front drive shaft to determine if it still happens? Does front shaft turn while moving in 2wd with no disconnect? (OK, possibly a STUPID Question)

I'd check your axle shaft u-joints. Usually a clicking noise from the front end is a u-joint that's crapping out.

Source...auto parts store obviously. There were two different u-joints used in this model Jeep....Dana-Spicer parts 5-260x and 5-297X (IIRC the part numbers exactly from memory). 5-297X are bigger. They were later replaced by 5-760X. I'd just give the auto parts store your model and year and let them see what comes up. Best brand would be Dana-Spicer.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check the wheel joints! Yes, your front driveshaft spins at all times, whether in 2 or 4wd. If you have ABS, you'll have 5-297x u-joints, if non-ABS, you'll have 5-260x u-joints. I would get the greasable joints over the non-greasables. Greasable joints are usually cheaper (cost) and will last you a lot longer, if you keep them full of lube. On a side note, the most I see out of hub assemblies is about 1.5 years.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS Guys!

Just to reiterate, ehirner is voting axle shaft U-joints and Orange is saying "wheel joints" meaning the axle U-joints also right?

It is non-ABS.

I'll check auto parts store this afternoon!

1992 XJ Laredo
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the same part.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to NAPA and Ordered Wheel Joints (be here tomorrow).

Went ahead and picked up front drive shaft U-Joint and installed it today.

That FIXED my clicking. Bearing End caps were rusty inside and one cap had a very shiny surface which was obviously been wearing.

Will likely go ahead and change the Wheel Joints too but urgency is off until time allows.

THANKS Guys!

1992 XJ Laredo
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear! I would replace the other two u-joints on the front shaft. If one was bad, the others can't be far behind.
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also thinking that. While it would have been smarter to do them all while I had it apart, I was mostly trying to determine where stupid clicking was coming from.

Now that it has been solved I want to systematically go through and replace them all and get spares of each.

Taking the front Drive shaft back off will be a piece of cake now after I have heavy crud now removed

1992 XJ Laredo
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: