Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tire size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muckaneer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Tire size Reply with quote

Sorry, this is probably out there somewhere, but an idea just popped into my head. Can anyone please tell me the max tire size that fits comfortably on a JK unlimited? I have a 2000 TJ and I am thinking about the JKu as an update. Just wondering if my new 33s will fit w/o a lift. Thanks.
Muckaneer #1
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

33s
Muckaneer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. That is what I thought. Thanks so much.
Now the only question is do I want to get a JKu.
Muckaneer #1
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like already stated, 33's are fine...ran mine stock with 33's for quite awhile. Thing is, if you're planning on swapping out the tires/wheels from your TJ to the JK, it won't work. JK's are running a 5x5 bolt pattern, whereas the TJ's are 5x4.5. One other thing to consider if you opt to just reuse your tires and buy new wheels, not all 15" wheels (assuming the tires are 15's) fit the JK properly so you'll wanna do some research before ya buy.
Muckaneer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that was actually my follow up question. I have brand new 33" Goodyear MTs, and I would kind of like to keep them rather than "give" them to the dealership. Since a simple wheel swap won't work, maybe I'll just try to find some cheap steelies. Oh yeah, does a 33 mount comfortably on the spare rack?

The tires I am trying to keep are 33"x12.5x15 (would 12.5 fit stock?). Or would it be better to try to sell them and pick up something that fits the stock wheels. I saw something in another thread about pattern adapters, but that seems like it would just add another piece that could cause trouble.

Thanks for the help.
Muckaneer #1
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries with the spare....majority of the JK's out there come off the lot with 32's, so there's not much of a difference. I have plenty of room back there with mine on. As far as the width of the tire, shouldn't be a problem assuming the new wheels have the typical 3.75~4" of backspacing that seems common with 15's (been years since I've looked at them, but I doubt that's changed much). Only thing is that they'll protrude beyond the flares a bit (couldn't tell you exactly how much). Best bet is to have your shop agree to test fit the wheels to make sure they'll fit.....I've also heard some places refuse to mount 15's on a JK because their 'book' says they won't fit. It's gonna be hit or miss.
Muckaneer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got the JK. A pretty nice (but basic) Unlimited X. Now it is time to mod. How do the stock axles handle 35s? It has the 3.73 ratio as well. I am thinking about a 3" lift w/ 35s. Sooooo many options. Any advice?
thanks
Muckaneer #1
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axles should be fine....the D30 up front is quite a bit stronger than it's TJ counterparts and I'm pretty sure the D44 is the only available rear any more, so no worries there (from what I've read over the years is that the D35 is rather rare and seems to only show up on '07 models). Only thing to think about is the stock gears with the 35's....you can get a computer programmer to resync shift points and stuff if it's an auto to make it a bit more tolerant, not much to do if it's the six speed....other than regear of course.
dwkolb1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built quite a few and 35's are ok with the stock axles for light wheeling. You will definitely want 4.88's or 5.13's with 35's though, especially if you have an automatic transmission.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> JK Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: